From my experience Australia Post it is in general a reliable service and you can be confident that the mail will reach its destination. It is recommended however, to use registered mail for important mail or to pay insurance.
Do not send organic products (like plant seeds) in the mail. It is against the quarantine laws and you can make a lot of damage to the Australian natural habitat.
brief history ...
- 1809 Isaac Nichols Sydney's first Postmaster.
- 1828 first postman was appointed in Sydney.
- 1838 First mail service Sydney - Melbourne.
- 1838 First adhesive postage stamp issued.
- 1856 Monthly sea mail to England.
- 1919 First overseas airmail from England.
- 1975 Australia Post was established.
Compiled from the Australian Post
domestic / international mail
Post Offices are opened 9AM
Monday to Friday and some branches are opened during the weekend. Call 13 13 18 for details.
All domestic mail is treated as priority mail and is delivered in 1-5 days depending on distance and transport availability.
Express Post guarantees next day delivery.
Air Mail will take 5-10 days to reach most of the countries.
Mail can be sent on your name to any post office, marked Post Restante
. To pick up your mail you need a proof of identity.
Customer service: 13 13 18
Web site: www.auspost.com.au