brief history ...
PADDYS IS NOT JUST A MARKET, IT'S AN AUSTRALIAN ICON!
They claim this, because they have a history of over 150 years, when in the same place was a market of second hand goods, clothes, novelties, etc .
In 1834 Governor Bourke decided to move traders in hay and grain to a site next to the new cattle market in Campbell Street. The market was allowed to stay open until 10.00pm on Saturdays. Because of the trading with hay, the market was named "Haymarket", name that has remained attached to the area even after the hay market has moved.
In 1842 Paddy's markets came under the jurisdiction of Sydney Council.
The origin of the name Paddy's Markets is not known and was used by the people since 1870s.
In 1938, the stall holders were shifted into the large brick building, known as No. 6 market where the Entertainment Centre is located today.
In 1975, stall holders were re housed in the Nos. 1 and 2 markets across the street, to make room for the Entertainment Centre. Since then the Paddy's Markets remained the same.
tourist information ...
How to get there
to Town Hall or Central Station
and then a five minute walk. Buses
are also available. Ask for Paddy's Markets. The
monorail and the light rail have stops there as well.
9 Hay Street,
Web site: Paddy's Markets
Hours of Operation
, Mondays 9:00AM
Please check online for latest details: Paddy's Markets