brief history ...
The region was first inhabited by the Aborigines.
The first European to explore the area was George Bass in 1797. Later on Kiama was settled by farmers.
: The name of the town is derived from the Aboriginal word Kiarama meaning "sea noise", probably in reference to the Kiama Blowhole.
Kiama is a picturesque town situated 120 km
south of Sydney.
- Surf beaches
- Kiama Blowhole and Kiama Little Blowhole (best)
- Cathedral Rocks north at Bombo
- Kiama Lighthouse, on Blowhole Point
- Saddleback Lookout 600 m high situated 7 km South West
- The Jamberoo Recreation Park
- Australian pelicans
tourist information ...
How to get there
Best is by train
from Central Station
in Sydney and go off the train at Kiama Station (Illawarra line). Check the City Rail
Kiama City Council
The official guide to Kiama