Power House Museum
brief history ...
The idea of the Power House Museum originates in the 1879 industrial international exhibition. Being a popular attraction, the government bought many of the star exhibits and set up the Technological, Industrial and Sanitary Museum.
In 1882 the building hosting the Technological burns down. In 1893 the museum is moved to Harris Street, Ultimo. In 1945 the museum is renamed as the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences.
Due to its large exhibits, the building hosting the museum started to become overcrowded. Not far from the museum location was the old decommissioned Ultimo Power Station. In 1979 the decision to move the Museum to the Power Station was made, and in would move to the power station site. In March 1988 the Power House Museum was opened.
tourist information ...
How to get there
You can reach the Power House Museum from Darling Harbor
, Central Station
or by Monorail
500 Harris Street Ultimo,
Ph: (+61 2) 9217 0111
Web site: Power House Museum
Hours of Operation
The Powerhouse Museum is open every day except Christmas
Day. Please check the Power House Museum homepage
for more up to date information.