Nobbys Head Lighthouse
brief history ...
On 10 May 1770, Captain James Cook
was the first European to sight Nobbys Head from the ship Endeavour
. He describes it as"
"A small round rock or Island, laying close under the land, bore South 82 degrees West, distance 3 or 4 Leagues"
Designed by Alexander Dawson, Nobbys Head lighthouse entered in service in 1 January 1858 and was automated in 1935.
The future of the Nobbys Head lighthouse looks bleak. The Newcastle
Council decided that is more important to make a dollar or two rather than preserve a historic site such as Nobbys Head lighthouse and is planing to develop a commercial venture around the lighthouse.
: Nobbys Head is the third lighthouse built in New South Wales after the Macquarie Lighthouse
and the Hornby Lighthouse
tourist information ...
How to get there
Best is by train
from Central Station
in Sydney and go off the train at Newcastle Central Station (Newcastle Line). Check the City Rail
Hours of Operation
Newcastle Council has blocked the access to the lighthouse. See the above comment.