brief history ...
The Macquarie Lighthouse is located on the Dunbar Head, Vaucluse, about 2Km from The South Head
and Hornby Lighthouse
In 1791, on the same location a flagstaff was erected and in 1793 was followed by a tripod mounted wood and coal fired beacon.
In 1818 Francis Greenway, a convict architect, built the first lighthouse under the order of Governor of New South Wales, Lachlan Macquarie. This lighthouse was built in sandstone and named Macquarie Lighthouse. Due to the strong winds and the soft sandstone the lighthouse needed replacement.
A new lighthouse was built 40 meters away from the original structure and in 1883, the current Macquarie Lighthouse was opened. It was designed by James Barnet and is similar with the original lighthouse.
From 1976 the Macquarie Lighthouse is fully automated.
: The Macquarie Lighthouse was the first, and is the longest serving, lighthouse site in Australia.
tourist information ...
How to get there
from Circular Quay. Another alternative will be to catch a ferry
to Watsons Bay and walk about 2Km to the lighthouse.
Sydney Harbour Federation Trust
PO Box 607
Mosman NSW 2088 Australia
Tel 02 8969 2100
Web site: Harbour Trust
Hours of Operation
The grounds of the lightstation are always open for public access.
The Harbour Trust operates guided tours of the lighthouse every two months.