brief history ...
The August 1857 shipwreck of Dunbar and the October 1857 wreck of Catherine Adamson prompted the need of a lighthouse to mark the entrance to Jackson's Bay.
The lighthouse was erected in 1858 and was opened by Sir William Denison, the Governor of New South Wales who named it after his father-in-law, Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby.
The Hornby lighthouse was also known as the Lower Light in comparison with the nearby Macquarie Light
: The first light keeper of the Hornby lighthouse, Henry Johnson, was a direct descendent of the sole surviver of the Dunbar shipwreck.
tourist information ...
How to get there
from Circular Quay. Another alternative will be to catch a ferry
to Watsons Bay and walk about 1Km to the lighthouse.
Sydney Harbour Federation Trust
PO Box 607
Mosman NSW 2088 Australia
Tel 02 8969 2100
Web site: Harbour Trust
Hours of Operation
The grounds of the lightstation are always open for public access.